CIEE strives to increase access to study abroad and intercultural exchange programs that humanize international relations and thereby create a more peaceful global community. To this end, we provide a suite of financial aid opportunities that open doors to transformative educational experiences for young people from the United States and around the world.
Scholarships to Go Abroad
CIEE offers more than $13 million in scholarships and grants annually to help high school or college students make their dreams of studying abroad a reality.
For High School Students
- Global Navigator Scholarships – Full or partial scholarships for Global Navigator High School Summer Abroad programs at more than 30 international destinations
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program (CBYX) – A fully-funded scholarship sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and German Bundestag, CBYX is a bi-lateral exchange program for American students to attend high school in Germany and live with a German host family for a year.
- Host Family Scholarships – $1,000 toward a Global Navigator High School Study Abroad Program for families who have hosted a CIEE student in the United States
For College Students
- GAIN Travel Grant – Up to $1,500 toward airfare for high need students participating in a CIEE program.
- Gilman Go Global Grant – Up to $2,500 toward program costs for any qualified applicant for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship, regardless of whether they are selected as a Gilman Scholar
- Merit Scholarships – A variety of scholarships for students of high academic achievement interested in pursuing programs in tropical and marine ecology, comparative studies, public health, or other select themes
- The Douglass-O'Connell Global Internship – Fully-funded summer internship program in Dublin, Ireland designed for diverse student leaders
- Minority Serving Institutions Grant – Up to $2,000 towards a study abroad program for high need students who attend Minority Serving Institutions.
Scholarships to the United States
CIEE offers scholarships that make it possible for more future leaders to participate in life-changing cultural exchange experiences. CIEE also administers full, merit-based scholarship programs sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.
For High School Students
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program (CBYX) – A fully-funded scholarship sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and German Bundestag, CBYX is a bi-lateral exchange program for Germans to attend high school in the U.S. and live with an American host family for a year.
- Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study Program (YES) - Administered by the U.S. Department of State, the YES program provides scholarships for high school students from countries with significant Muslim populations to spend an academic year in the U.S.
- Future Leaders Exchange Program (FLEX) - Administered by the U.S. Department of State, the FLEX scholarship program provides opportunities for high school students from Eurasia to spend a year in the U.S.
- Baltic-America Freedom Foundation (BAFF) Leadership Academy – Full scholarship for students from Estonia, Latvia, or Lithuania to participate in a three-week CIEE Global Navigator High School Summer Program for Entrepreneurship and a five-day tour of New York and Washington, D.C. upon completion of the CIEE program
For College Students
- Civic Leadership Summit – Fellowships that cover the costs for young leaders from around the world who are participating in the summer Work & Travel USA program to attend a late-summer event in Washington D.C. where they can network with their peers and learn about leadership, social entrepreneurship, and cultural understanding
Other CIEE Scholarships
For CIEE Alumni
- Go Abroad Again Grant – Up to $1,500 off for CIEE study abroad alumni and their siblings if they enroll in another non-consecutive CIEE program.
- Alumni Child Global Navigator Discount – A 10% discount on Global Navigator High School Study Abroad Programs for the child of a CIEE program alum
Support CIEE Scholarship Funds
CIEE changes lives. Our alumni change the world. Can you help us increase our impact?
You can democratize intercultural exchange by helping CIEE eliminate cost as a barrier for participation in programs that advance mutual understanding, encourage trust, and promote harmony among peoples and nations.
Prepare an American high school student for a bright future in today’s increasingly global and interconnected world by donating to our Global Navigator Scholarship Fund.
Or donate to the CIEE Global Exchange Scholarship Program and help a diverse population of young people from around the world immerse themselves in American culture by living and working in a U.S. community during their summer break through CIEE’s Work & Travel USA program.
For information on other giving opportunities, such as gifts of stocks or securities or including CIEE in your estate plans, please contact Jill Sady at email@example.com.