5 Tips For Culture Shock
Helpful advice for cultural adjustment
From the first step you take in a foreign country, you're busy taking in the newness around you. When you travel abroad, your daily routine, culture, and the attitudes of people around you are no longer familiar. The process of recognizing, understanding, and adjusting to these changes is called culture shock. Here are a few tips to help you through this process with more ease.
- Stay positive. Maintain a positive attitude and seek out others who do the same.
- Give yourself a chance. Cultural adjustment takes time – stay flexible and be patient with your new routine.
- Stay present. Try not to withdraw from your surroundings, it can make it worse. Talk with other people who share in your experience.
- Be open and friendly. People will respond in kind, which can help.
- Keep your sense of humor. Keep an open mind – both good and bad feelings are part of the learning experience.
No matter how you are feeling, remember you are never alone, and we encourage you to contact us if you need to. Call CIEE at 1-888-268-6245 for assistance.