Inside World Governance
Go behind the scenes at major European institutions. Get familiar with the workings of the United Nations. Come home with skills in research, analysis, and debate, and an increased understanding of power in world governance.
Credentials for Your Future
Topics for your college essays, experience to inform your future career, a Digital Portfolio showing your learning and results of a Project and debate on a global challenge of your choice.
Life Skills and New Friendships
Return with greater self-confidence, independence, and improved communication skills. Enjoy a broader worldview and friends of different backgrounds from across the U.S.
hours of expert instruction
weeks pursuing your passion
Welcome to Amsterdam, where old-world charm and progressive politics rhyme.
Located in the heart of Western Europe, the Netherlands and its capital city of Amsterdam are home to a number of organizations that drive the worldwide political agenda. With more than 180 nationalities represented, this charming multicultural city also offers an inviting environment where you’ll quickly feel at home.
Easy to navigate, the city boasts more canals than Venice and abounds with beauty. Treasures like the narrow, gabled houses stand shoulder to shoulder along the canals. Cobblestone streets lead to lively squares and street markets. Parks provide delightful greenspaces for “Amsterdammers” to picnic and barbecue. With over 6,000 historic buildings and more than 40 museums, Amsterdam is one of the most picturesque capitals in Europe and a unique destination for art lovers. Don’t leave without seeing masterpieces by Van Gogh, Rembrandt, and Vermeer!
CIEE wants all our students to feel welcomed, supported, and empowered to succeed while studying abroad. Local CIEE staff have provided details about conditions and cultural attitudes that students with specific identities might encounter in Amsterdam.
Weekly Learning Goals
Just imagine all the fun you'll have!
- Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city center and go biking in the Amsterdam Forest, the largest greenspace in the city.
- Encounter the canal belt's festive street scene at Amsterdam’s Albert Cuyp market, the largest open-air market in Europe and where you can try the tasty stroopwafel.
- Travel to tranquil Zaanse Schans and experience how the Dutch lived in the days of yore—caring for livestock, generating power with windmills, wearing clogs, and growing tulips.
- Let the giant stained-glass portraits of Dutch artists welcome you to the Rijksmuseum. Lose yourself in its world-renowned collections of art and find a masterpiece that speaks to you.
- In Brussels, engage in a simulation of the EU Parliament at work. Will you take the role of citizen, expert, or politician?
Please note activities are based on past programs and subject to change at CIEE's discretion to adapt to local circumstances and participant feedback. Our goal when arranging activities is always to enhance your experience.
What People Are Saying
"I loved walking past the canals and getting ice cream with our group and the Program Leaders. I also enjoyed our trip to Brussels. Overall, I had a lot of fun while also learning."
Maria T., Global Navigator Alum
"The most unforgettable experiences were cruising the canals and the Pride celebrations. It was really beautiful to see that the Netherlands supports Pride and how they show support."
Dayana V., Global Navigator Alum
"The program is a great way to learn new things, find amazing friends, and get out of your comfort zone. The 3 weeks were amazing and I grew a lot mentally!"
Kristina S., Global Navigator Alum
"Not only is it a great experience, but it also provides young minds with a more expanded outlook and helps them develop humility."
Parent of Global Navigator Alum
Dates & Fees
- Participants must be 14 years old and above.
- Program open to all current high school students: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
- For scholarship eligibility requirements, please check our Scholarship page.
For more information, refer to the detailed Program Essential Eligibility Criteria.
Program scholarships and tuition include iNext Travel Insurance, but do not cover the cost of flights. Find additional details about what’s included with your tuition.
|Program Summer Session I 2024 3 weeks
|Program Summer Session II 2024 3 weeks
(Dietary Needs Accommodated)
All Ground Transportation
Optional Flight Chaperone
(Flight Cost Not Included)
Pre-departure Advice and Orientation
Access to Local Phone and WIFI
All Cultural Activities and Excursions
Comprehensive Medical and Travel Protection
24/7 Emergency On-site Support
Gildas holds a master’s degree in European Law from the University of Rennes (France). He worked in many roles within international higher education before joining CIEE as Center Director.