Get Papers in Order

You will not be able to enter the United States without certain documents. Some of those documents will come from your CIEE international representative, CIEE, or your employer. Others, like your passport, are your responsibility.

Before you depart, make copies of these documents and leave with a friend or relative at home in case you lose them. When you travel, keep your important documents with you – do not put them in checked luggage.

Documents Provided by Your CIEE international representative, Employer or CIEE

DS-2019 Form
Once you’ve checked that the dates on the form are correct, you must have this important document with you:

- When you go to the Embassy for your visa interview
- When you arrive in the United States
- When you apply for a Social Security number

SEVIS Receipt
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security keeps track of visitors with a system called SEVIS, or The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. You will need your SEVIS receipt when you go to the U.S. Embassy to get your visa.

Job Offer Form
This is your job agreement. It provides information about your job, dates of your employment, and your employer. You may be asked for this when you enter the United States.

Confirmation Of Insurance & Insurance ID Card
CIEE health insurance covers you for the duration of the program. Make sure you keep the ID card with you at all times. You must present it to your healthcare provider if you seek medical treatment. If not, you might be charged for services.

CIEE Work & Travel USA Info Card
This card has information on how to contact CIEE for assistance during your stay.

Documents You Need To Obtain On Your Own
Passport – Your home country is responsible for issuing your passport. In a lot of countries, the Department of Foreign Affairs is charged with this duty. If you already have a passport, you need to make sure that it is valid for your entire trip, including any time in the United States after your program ends. Once you have your passport, contact the U.S. Embassy to schedule an interview to apply for your J-1 visa.
U.S. J-1 Visa – Take your DS-2019, SEVIS receipt, and passport with you to the interview. Your CIEE international representative can help guide you through the process, and may also help arrange your J-1 interview.

Customs Declaration Form 6059B
You will receive this on your flight. Fill it out before you land and give it to the Customs officer. Instructions are printed on the form.

Helpful Information About Your Work & Travel Program (Download and Print)
U.S. State Department Exchange Visitor Welcome brochure (PDF)
Summer Work & Travel USA Participant Welcome letter (PDF)
Summer Work & Travel USA brochure (PDF)
Wilberforce pamphlet: Rights and Protections for Temporary Workers (PDF)