Medical Insurance

Your International Staff Is Covered

Every CIEE Work & Travel USA student has health insurance. That gives you peace of mind, knowing that they’ll be taken care of should any medical issues arise. While providing coverage is not your responsibility, you can offer a helping hand by explaining how American healthcare works.

About CIEE Insurance

Students are covered by an Aetna® travel health insurance plan. The plan covers illness or injury while in the United States, and is accepted by more than 600,000 healthcare providers. Contact us at if you have any questions about coverage.

Special note: Students from Ireland use a separate insurance and should call MAPFRE at 1-646-254-3539 to learn more about their medical coverage.

Visits to doctors, urgent care centers or emergency rooms: $50
In-patient hospital stays: $100
Prescription drugs (after reimbursement): $20

Every student gets a CIEE insurance card and should carry it at all times in case they need to seek medical attention. Make sure they understand this, along with the concept of copayment. Remember that CIEE offers 24/7 support for emergency situations. Students can call CIEE at 1-888-268-6245, or send us an email.

You must notify CIEE if a student has a serious accident, illness, or injury.

There’s detailed information on exclusions and limitations, and a healthcare provider finder, on the CIEE insurance website.

Getting Medical Help

For life-threatening emergencies, call 911 and notify CIEE as soon as possible.

Your international student might be accustomed to visiting the emergency room (ER) for minor ailments. In the United States, both ER visits and ambulances are very expensive and may not be covered for non-emergency situations. In our student orientations, we explain that these are not the best options for non-emergencies.

Advise students to seek care at urgent care centers (also called immediate care or walk-in clinics) unless it is an emergency. These facilities don’t require students to be established patients. They often have extended hours and don’t require appointments.


Notify CIEE by calling 1-888-268-6245. We’ll help locate the nearest in-network urgent care center, or a doctor if a convenient option exists.
Have the student bring his/her insurance ID and $50 for the copay.
If the student has no transportation or cannot safely get themselves to the clinic, offer a ride.

Helping With Insurance Claims

It’s your students’ responsibility to manage their own health and find medical attention, but they may ask you for help navigating the U.S. healthcare system and using their CIEE coverage.

Medical Claims
If a student goes to an in-network provider, the copay should be all that is required. If a student gets a bill or has payment issues, have him/her contact CIEE for assistance.

Prescription Drug Claims
Students are advised to bring enough prescription medicine to last for their entire stay. If they need a prescription while in the U.S., they must pay up-front and file a claim for reimbursement. The claim form is on the CIEE insurance website. They will need to keep a copy of the prescription and all receipts to get reimbursed.